I have been staying up later and waking up later these days. When the opportunity to switch jobs presented itself I held firm that I would only take a position in the town that I lived. No more 45 minute commutes for this Mom. It wasn’t long before I got a call from a temp agency for a company that needed me urgently. “Great! I’ll be there tomorrow,” I told the recruiter. It was a bit of a schedule shift. Instead of leaving at 6:45 am each morning I now had to be out the door by 8 am. The less than ideal thing was that I would be working later into the day as well and I would lose an hour in the evening.
My schedule had needed a bit of tweaking as my daughter gets older and her willingness to comply with my own wants was a moving target. Here is what our schedule today:
- 7:00 am – Wake up, shower
- 7:20 am – Get dressed, take meds, put on jewelry and deodorant
- 7:30 am – wake up 2 year old, get her dressed and go jump in mommy and daddy’s bed to wake up daddy!
- 7:40 am – breakfast for daughter (usually homemade muffins), while she eats I brush and put up her hair
- 7:50 am – gather items to bring to daycare, daughter uses potty, I pack my own breakfast and lunch
- 8:00 am – out the door and in the car
- 8:05 am – daycare drop off (it is 0.4 miles from my house)
- 8:20 am – park car, walk to office, start my day!
Of course some mornings I get going a little bit later and have to run out the door around 8:10 am and need to rush the daycare drop off. I try to avoid being late since it stresses both me and my daughter if we are rushing.
One thing that I don’t have in my morning routine is putting on make-up and doing my own hair. I haven’t worn make up for years and I keep my hair cut in a way that looks professional after I run a brush through it. I easily save 20 minutes on my morning routine by omitting these beauty rituals.
Sometimes I’m able to squeeze in some extra little tasks like starting a load of laundry or putting away all of the clean dishes. It all depends on morning 🙂